Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Doing Some Actual Work (Legionella pneumophila Blog Week 3)

I finally had the chance to do some actual work this week involving the collection of samples and working on extracting genetic material from the sample collected.  Oliver and I collected a sample of water from the cooling towers and we will be filtrating and extracting (if there is any) genetic material from our samples this week.  

Up until now I had been doing a great deal of background reading to familiarize myself with the bacteria, its significance and the methods that we would use in order to positively identify the presence of Legionella pneumophila.  


First up in the process was the actual collection of the sample.  Down below you'll see the location and a brief description of where the sample was taken from.  Once the sample was collected, it must undergo a filtration process in order to concentrate the contents that were in the sample into 5mL of water so that we can work with it better in the lab.  (FYI: Video is loud)

Once the samples have been concentrated the DNA (if there is any) of whatever was in that water is extracted from that sample using a Soil DNA Extraction Kit.  What this kit does is, take all of the genetic material that was in that sample and extract it from the organisms that were residing in the sample of water.  


This was my first time going through all of these steps and I think I was able to get through everything successfully, with the help of my teammates (Daisy and Zaira) of course!  I guess that's all for now, tomorrow we'll get a chance to use and learn how to use the new NanoDrop machine so I'm really excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment